Evidential Workflow requires an effective utilization of collected data. While solutions like Digital Asset Management (DAMS) software exist for batch processing large amounts of data, they have limitations. For example, if the data input is not correctly collected and transferred, it can result in the following issues:
- Use of only JPEG files
- Lack of data verification at the time of collection from data cards
- Failure to forensically wipe data cards for safe reuse
- Lack of evidential copies
- Absence of digital fingerprints
Mercia Solutions suggests a more efficient and practical approach to ingesting the data in an automated fashion before feeding a working copy into the DAMS system for display, review, processing, and eliminating the above problems and providing a secure bridge between potentially insecure data and networks and secure force networks.
Using a DAMS solution as the original master storage solution also raises the need for additional storage and capabilities to meet evidential requirements and protect the evidence for the long term. Metadata and critical information is often stored separately to original files and in a propritory database meaning moving to a new solution maybe impossible Moreover, existing data collection and management systems often have high margins for error. Points of failure can occur during initial memory card transfer, server and network connections, or due to operator or infrastructure failure in getting data safely into the DAMS system. These problems may only become apparent when the original data is lost, and it is too late to do anything about it.
Mercia Solutions offers a better solution by taking a forensic copy of the original data collected and backing it up on a separate system. This can be done simultaneously with a simple solution for managing and reviewing hot and warm data. Our services include:
- A complete system for initial data processing, batch processing, reproduction, and data storage
- A secure link between networks for data collection and transmission
- Front-end hardware solutions to feed data into DAMS systems
- Front-end software solutions to feed data into DAMS systems
- Digital asset management for existing systems
- Simple evidential solutions for data and evidence access and reproduction for court use